Part 2 of a series.<p> Long-time Packer safety LeRoy Butler saw a lot of teammates come and go…
How Big is Daunte's Deal?
However, when asked by other media types on our impressions, we were quick to remind them of the contracts signed by Steve Young, Troy Aikman, and more recently Drew Bledsoe and Brett Favre. The true $100 million contract has never existed. That doesn't mean Daunte may not make $100 million as an NFL QB, it just won't be with this deal.
VU had a chance to get privy to the contract details. They are as follows:
* The actual cash value of the extension is $72 million. The remaining $30 million is based on escalator clauses and performance standards that may or may not be reached.
* The majority of the escalator portions of the contract are pushed to the final three years -- which makes it extremely unlikely that Culpepper's current deal will remain in its same form more than five years from now.
* His deal included an immediate $8 million signing bonus.
* In the first five years of the contract, he will have a base salary of $30 million, plus performance incentives.
* His base salaries for 2004 and 2005 are guaranteed.
* He will receive $2.5 million roster bonuses in 2006 and 2007 under the current contract.
In short, the deal gives Culpepper the financial security he wanted, but isn't the actual numbers released to the media. Like the franchise QBs mentioned above, his deal will likely be torn up by 2007 in exchange for another signing bonus and more guaranteed money. That's the way the NFL works, and Culpepper's deal is no different.
* The Vikings are expected to sign OT Robbie Doane, a non-drafted free agent who took part in last week's minicamp, to a contract as early as this week.
* Willie Shaw, who was at minicamp last weekend, has been assigned the duties of an advance scout to help the Vikes with prep work for future regular-season opponents. Head coach Mike Tice made sure Shaw got at least one more year with the team. After this season, Shaw will have enough time in as a coach to be fully vested in the league's pension program.
PackerReport.com Recommended Stories
Guion Digs Run Defense Out of Cellar
Maybe it was never as bad as it seemed, but Green Bay's run defense is playing better, and a healthy Letroy Guion is one reason why. (John Konstantaras/Getty Images)Read More
A Crash Course in ‘NASCAR’
The Packers rolled out a shiny new wrinkle with a catchy name last week; we examine its roots and reasoning. (Benny Sieu/USA TODAY)Read More
Saints Ready for Rodgers
One of the worst defenses in the league "can't wait" to face Aaron Rodgers and the Packers on Sunday night. (Derick E. Hingle/USA TODAY)Read More
Week 8: Super Sleepers
Every week, Fantasy Football Expert Jeb Gorham digs in his list of rankings to find the best sleepers for deeper formats. Consider giving these players a chance, but be aware of the risk! Tampa Bay…Read More
Watch: Sailfish Goes Psycho!
Check out this classic video of Dan Larson battling an acrobatic sailfish on a trip to the world-famous Tropic Star Lodge in Panama.Read More